This is an alternative space from my website. I plan to share behind the scene images of a working sign shop, detailed stages of production, techniques & processes, how things work, or how I've made them work for me anyway. I design and build signs, it's commercial art, each is an art project. I strive to keep them unique and different. This keeps it interesting and challenging for me and gives the client a unique project. Hopefully you find this interesting and perhaps educational. There may be wonderful mishaps, paint spills, or some whacked effects gone awry. Stuff happens, art happens, I occasionally step back and just smile (and grab a camera). Often the garbage generated is art in itself. I have archives of photos and will randomly choose some to share. They may, or may not be current work. Enjoy. - Brad

Saturday, October 29, 2011

welcome to the Oregon Country Fair

This past June, my wife Jana, my daughter Eliza, and I joined a small group of my sign buddies, mostly from Portland, for a work party at the Oregon Country Fair to paint this handsome welcome sign. The year prior, I was asked to create a semi dysfunctional banner. I declined and brainstormed the need for this greater project in its place. I convinced Rebecca Bradvica, the head of the OCF sign crew that this is what was needed. I mocked up the original conceptual drawings which she took and sold to the OCF powers that be. She deserves so much credit for pulling all the right strings to make this happen. The project was scaled back in size and became just one-sided, but it turned out absolutely wonderful. Anyone driving hwy 126 from Eugene to the coast will see it. My friend Justin Reide, who's been doing outstanding work for the OCF sign crew for some years designed the artwork and was the lead for the project.  He acquired and hauled all the materials from Portland. Tip of the hat to Justin!! We worked with a whole system of Nova brand water-based paints that were a real treat. They were a great discovery for most of us. Rebecca wrote back after the event, "We got a round of applause and some very kind words of appreciation at tonights Board of Directors meeting for the big sign. People universally are loving it". 

Here's a shot to lure you in. To see the rest and get the story, you'll have to take this link to my wife's blog. She's already posted more of the story. Do it, but please come back.





No comments: