This is an alternative space from my website. I plan to share behind the scene images of a working sign shop, detailed stages of production, techniques & processes, how things work, or how I've made them work for me anyway. I design and build signs, it's commercial art, each is an art project. I strive to keep them unique and different. This keeps it interesting and challenging for me and gives the client a unique project. Hopefully you find this interesting and perhaps educational. There may be wonderful mishaps, paint spills, or some whacked effects gone awry. Stuff happens, art happens, I occasionally step back and just smile (and grab a camera). Often the garbage generated is art in itself. I have archives of photos and will randomly choose some to share. They may, or may not be current work. Enjoy. - Brad

Monday, October 31, 2011

West Albany Bulldogs


The front of the school and my relinquished work truck. It's amazing how often this old bus functioned better for my work needs than a pick-up. Now I drive a pick-up.


I brought my friend, Pete McKearnan, down from Portland to help with this one. Pete has a business called Signworks. He's one of P-town's finest and does top notch work. He brought his scaffold, which is narrower than most, so it breaks down and travels in his small truck.


We projected the artwork late at night, after in got dark. The opaque projector sits on a board, clamped to the top of a ladder, right at the front corner of the roof, as far back as we could get it. It took about 6 projection locations to get all this. We were working away well after midnight when an Albany cop paid us a visit. Assuming we were up to mischief, he silently climbed up our ladder to the roof we were on, stumbled over the last few rungs and woke up the neighborhood as he stormed us by surprise. It sounded like he about knocked the ladder over. He was a bit embarrassed.


Pete's quite the brush slinger.


It was late summer and the temperature was over 100. Working on the north facing concrete wall wasn't too bad. The wall had a coolness about it.


Pete's brush doesn't run out of paint. He maintains total control, even fully extended. He's good.


I'm adding bevels to make the centers look embossed.



The centers have a blended gradient; lighter at the top and darker at the bottom. We had to guess how much paint to mix. We didn't want much of this intermixed paint left over, yet we had to have enough to finish. We brush blended 4 or 5 shades together.


These dry brush 'reflections' where the convexed outline changes color were fun to do.


Posers.



I emailed Chuck Davis at letterheadfonts.com a photo of this, without appropriately submitting it to the gallery at his website. This gallery of international work is typically outstanding. It somehow ended up in the gallery. Then it somehow was a finalist in his annual design contest. It did not place for a prize. Fitting, it's not quite in the same league, or level of design complexity as the winners. It's still there, near the bottom right of this page. Ironically, the font is named LHF Bulldog.

No comments: